Depressing Anime— It Can Always Get Worse

Shacheyanna Johnson, Writer

Banana Fish [Series w/ 12 ep.] The story captures the war between a mafia boss named Dino and a young gang leader searching for redemption and revenge. This jaw-dropping anime series is by far one of the most knuckle-gripping, hair pulling, ugly-crying, gut-wrenching saddest anime that may have ever existed. Beware the void that will be opened up in the place your heart was after watching this. {SENSITIVE CONTENT}

Stars Align [Series w/ 12 ep.] This story focuses on the potential of the boys’ soft tennis club and the discovery of their own capability, while also enduring personal hardships and dealing with the darker side of growing up in middle school. Beware the boys that hide behind their smiles, as it’ll leave you aching with pity and tears when you realize not everything can be as simple as a tennis match. {SENSITIVE CONTENT}

Your Lie In April [Movie] A piano prodigy is unable to play music after his mother dies until he meets a violin player. Through passion and music, the main characters find more than camaraderie in each other, they find love and heartache. The movie that you can’t help but adore even as it pierces your soul a thousand times with longing.

Silent Voice [Movie] When a grade school student with impaired hearing is bullied mercilessly, she transfers to another school. Years later, one of her former tormentors sets out to make amends. This will make you feel as if you were thrown into a volcano full of despair and relatability, having you fall to your knees, with how it hits you right where it hurts. {SENSITIVE CONTENT}

Violet Evergrarden [Series w/ 13 ep. & 2 Movies] In the aftermath of a great war, Violet Evergarden, a young female ex-soldier, gets a job at a writers’ agency and goes on assignments to create letters that can connect people. This series will deliver you full-body shivers, and have you sobbing uncontrollably with the amount of grief is displayed within these images.

Promised Neverland [Series 23 ep.] When three gifted kids at an isolated idyllic orphanage discover the secret and sinister purpose they were raised for, they look for a way to escape from their evil caretaker and lead the other children in a risky escape plan. This will leave indents in your mind, from the death grip it has on you!

Charlotte [Series 13 ep.] Charlotte takes place in an alternate reality where a short-period comet called Charlotte passes near Earth once every 75 years. As this happens, it spreads dust onto the Earth, which causes a small percentage of preadolescent children who inhale the dust to manifest superhuman abilities upon reaching puberty. This anime will have you bow your head in solitude with the main character, as you watch him desire world peace in a place that doesn’t want it.

Dororo [Series w/ 24 ep.] Hyakkimaru (main character) rescues a boy thief named Dororo from a band of men whom the young boy tried to rob. Together they travel the countryside in the search of the demons who possess Hyakkimaru’s parts. This 24 part anime will have you seething with anger and crying tears of brotherhood when it’s over!

Attack on Titan — [Series w/ 4 seasons] In a civilization barricaded in three walls, the last location where humans still live… Over one hundred years ago, humanity was driven to the brink of extinction after the emergence of humanoid giants called Titans, who attack and eat humans on sight. This will make commit war crimes in your need to see the ending; with its plot bursting with vengeance, heartache, and redemption you won’t find any equanimity here! {SENSITIVE CONTENT}

Grave of the Fireflies [Movie] A devastating meditation on the human cost of war, this animated tale follows Seita, a teenager charged with the care of his younger sister, Setsuko after an American firebombing during World War II separates the two children from their parents. Their tale of survival is as heartbreaking as it is true to life. This movie will break your heart into pieces, make you put it back together again, only to gaslight you into thinking it was your fault in the first place.