Cardinal Nest

The Student News Site of Coon Rapids High School

Cardinal Nest

Cardinal Nest

Polls

What was your favorite Homecoming Spirit Day?

• Cardinal Pride Day (36%, 9 Votes)
  • Workout Day (32%, 8 Votes)
  • Dress-Up Day (20%, 5 Votes)
  • Neon Day (8%, 2 Votes)
  • Jersey Day (4%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 25

Loading ... Loading ...

On A Sunbeam: Review

On A Sunbeam by Tillie Walden is a graphic novel that follows the story of several people but mostly our main character, Mia. The story takes place in space, in the novel there are many space civilizations/countries/areas, and it starts with Mia being introduced to the space restoration crew she’s joining. The book goes back and forth between learning about the past and the present as the story is told. The book is so whimsical but still has deep meaning, and the artistry of Tillie Walden is absolutely beautiful and at times silly in the best way.

We learn that Mia attended a boarding school, and throughout the book get to see what her freshman year was like. She meets Grace, who is a new student, and they quickly form a relationship with one another. The way their relationship is written and visually shown and how it grows over time is so heartwarming to read. The romances in the novel are so touching, and the way Walden makes us root for everyone in the novel adds so much more intensity to the heartbreak, worry, and hope for the futures of the characters.

Also an interesting note, in this story it seems like there are no men in this universe.

The other prominent characters in the novel include those in the space restoration crew, Alma, Char, Jules, and El. They all have very distinct personalities, and it’s nice to watch as Mia grows into the family they have made out of each other. The book also has many satisfying full circle moments, as we learn more about the past of each character. Alma and Char are together, and are the leaders of the crew, with Char being the “official” leader. Jules and El are a bit younger than Alma and Char, Jules is very extroverted and spunky, and El is non verbal and they are very smart and deal with the mechanics.

On A Sunbeam is a sci-fi, epic adventure, and romance packed all into one. If you get intimidated by longer books like I do this book seems scary at first and I personally tried to read it multiple times over the years but never quite made it far enough to see that the length of the book isn’t important once you get into reading. On A Sunbeam is one of the best books, let alone graphic novels I’ve read. Its visuals are so stunning and advance the storytelling in a way that this book could only be a graphic novel. The relationships between Mia and the crew, and Mia and Grace are so lovely to read and watch. The book leaves a very satisfying ending for every character, and makes you wish for a whole other book that tells their life and adventures. I would recommend this book to literally everyone and anyone willing to read it.